I've been upgrading a few of our PCs and Laptops with Windows 7 this evening and hit upon a problem with the SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio device that came with my Dell XPS M1330 laptop. A quick google confirmed I wasn't the only one having problems.
Since I have now solved the problem I thought I'd post it here on my blog as I'm sure it will be a popular search on Google in the coming months as the masses move to the new OS.
- Download the latest x32 or x64 (as appropriate for your computer) Vista driver from the Dell website and leave the EXE in a folder somewhere. Or get them direct from us, click for the 32 bit driver or for the 64 bit driver
- Right click computer, and choose manage, then device manager
- In the Sound, Video and Game controller group you will see a device called "Windows High Defintion". Delete this by selecting and pressing delete
- Now having removed this device from your system you should run the Dell Sigmatel Driver EXE you downloaded previously
- Your system will prompt for a restart upon install
- When you restart you will get the reassuring sound of the Windows 7 start up tune and all will now be well !
Hope this helps someone, took me an hour today to figure it out.